photo basel is Switzerland’s first and only international art fair dedicated to photography based art.
photo basel brings together galleries from around the world in a unique, authentic setting. For its collectors, visitors or buyers – photo basel is an active platform which fosters the dialog between all actors of the photography community and beyond.
During Art Basel week 2018.
Public show days: June 12 - 17, 2018 (Tuesday-Sunday)
Volkshaus Basel, a compound smoothly renovated by acclaimed Swiss architects Herzog & de Meuron that contains various cultural highlights such as a bar, restaurant, event spaces, a club, a biergarten and soon also a hotel. Volkshaus Basel is located on Rebgasse 12-14 that is less than 700 meters away from Art Basel fairground.
photography has established itself within museums and the art market within the last decade. During Art Basel week, we want to enhance and nourish the creative trade of all the major art players within and around photography.
We are striving to create a hub for artistic photography in the cultural capital of Switzerland, Basel. Our goal is to ignite photography in Basel for the long haul. Our vision is that each exhibitor, collector, aficionado and visitor together are creating a unique photo basel DNA.
circles of experts.
In order to reach excellence, photo basel goes a new way in combining synergies from galleries, museum experts, collectors and curators, all working seamlessly hand in hand for the common shared vision.
For the 2017 photo basel art fair, photo basel launches it’s two circles of experts:
The advisory circle will consist mostly of galleries and it is not to be mistaken as "Selection Committee" - thus mainly because we strongly believe that no gallery should "judge" another gallery. As galleries are the centrepiece of any art fair, their inputs, suggestions and feedback is necessary to constantly improve our services.
- F&C Walter from Switzerland
- Galerie Baudoin Lebon, Paris
- Galerie Esther Woerdehoff, Paris
- Dorothée Nilsson Gallery, Berlin
- Kahmann Gallery, Amsterdam
- Podbielski Contemporary, Milan
- Éditions Xavier Barral, Paris
The curatorial circle will be in charge of reviewing and selecting all the content of photo basel (including a selection of participating galleries and exhibitors), special projects and special exhibitions.
- Dr. Felix Ackermann, Collector, Basel
- Ben Füglister, Artistic Director, Cap Prize and Images Afrique Initiator & Assistant Editor at European Photography, Berlin
- Sueraya Shaheen, Photo Editor, Tribe magazine, Dubai
- Anastasia Lepikhova, Independent Curator, Moscow, former Curator at Lumière Brothers Centre for Photography, Moscow
- Dr. Heinz Stahlhut, Sammlungskonservator Kunstmuseum Luzern, Lucerne
- Véronique Prugnaud, Publisher, The Eyes Magazine, Paris, France
At the end of the day, we consider each stakeholder as an extended “family member” that contributes to the sustainable success of photo basel art fair.
photo basel GmbH
CH - 4053 Basel
CH - 4058 Basel