photo basel is Switzerland’s first and only international art fair dedicated to photography based art.
photo basel brings together galleries from around the world in a unique, authentic setting. Be it collectors, visitors or buyers – photo basel fosters the dialog between all actors of the photography community.
During Art Basel week 2017.
Public show days: June 14 - 18, 2017 (Wednesday-Sunday)
VIP preview: Monday June 12, 2017 (by invitation only) Public Vernissage: Tuesday June 13, 2017 from 6pm (free)
Volkshaus Basel, a compound smoothly renovated by acclaimed Swiss architects Herzog & de Meuron that contains various cultural highlights such as a bar, restaurant, event spaces, a club, a biergarten and soon also a hotel. Volkshaus Basel is located on Rebgasse 12-14 that is 700 meters away from Art Basel fairground what makes photo basel the closest art fair to Art Basel.
photography has, in more recent years, established itself within our museums and the art market. During Art Basel week, we want to enhance and nourish the creative trade of all the major art players within and around photography.
We are striving to create a hub for artistic photography in the cultural capital of Switzerland, Basel. Our goal is to ignite photography in Basel for the long haul. Our vision is that each exhibitor, collector, aficionado and visitor together are creating a unique photo basel DNA.
photo basel GmbH
CH - 4053 Basel
CH - 4058 Basel
Head of Program
Exhibitor Relations Manager
VIP Relations Manager
Head of Staff
circles of experts.
In order to reach excellence, photo basel goes a new way in combining synergies from galleries, museum experts, collectors and curators, all working seamlessly hand in hand for the common shared vision.
For the 2017 photo basel art fair, photo basel launches it’s two circles of experts:
The advisory circle will consist mostly of galleries and it is not to be mistaken as "Selection Committee" - thus mainly because we strongly believe that no gallery should "judge" another gallery. As galleries are the centrepiece of any art fair, their inputs, suggestions and feedback is necessary to constantly improve our services.
- F&C Walter from Switzerland
- Galerie Baudoin Lebon, Paris
- Galerie Esther Woerdehoff, Paris
- Grundemark Nilsson Berlin and Stockholm
- Kahmann Gallery, Amsterdam
- Podbielski Contemporary, Berlin+Milan
- Éditions Xavier Barral, Paris
- widmertheodoridis from Switzerland
The curatorial circle will be in charge of reviewing and selecting all the content of photo basel (including a selection of participating galleries and exhibitors), special projects and special exhibitions.
- Dr. Felix Ackermann, Collector, Basel
- Ben Füglister, Artistic Director, Cap Prize and Images Afrique Initiator & Assistant Editor at European Photography, Berlin
- Sueraya Shaheen, Photo Editor, Tribe magazine, Dubai
- Anastasia Lepikhova, Independent Curator, Moscow, former Curator at Lumière Brothers Centre for Photography, Moscow
- Dr. Heinz Stahlhut, Sammlungskonservator Kunstmuseum Luzern, Lucerne
- Chantal Molleur, special advisor for time based media art, Founder of White Frame, Basel and Montréal
At the end of the day, we consider each stakeholder as an extended “family member” that contributes to the sustainable success of photo basel art fair.